- Bob Confer
- CONFER: When the sky rains starlings In incidents that seem to have become rites of winter throughout the northeast, rural residents living within a couple of miles of large dairy farms were recently subjected to an odd, even frightening, sight -- starlings literally falling out of the sky and dying before them. When the carnage concluded, homeowners found dozens of the birds dead in their lawns. This columnist picked up an even 10 dozen from his.
- CONFER: A cordial invitation to visit Confer Plastics open house For the eight years that I've written this column, Confer Plastics has had a recurring role in it.
- CONFER: Buehrle is barking up the wrong tree with his kids When Major League Baseball pitcher Mark Buehrle was traded from the Miami Marlins to the Toronto Blue Jays during the offseason, his dog, Slater - an American Staffordshire terrier and bulldog mix - became a topic of conversation. Pit bulls are outlawed in Ontario, so the question became, "what ever will his master do?"
- CONFER: Legalize stun guns in New York Every 2 minutes a woman is sexually assaulted somewhere in the United States. In a typical year over 275,000 women have their bodies and souls pillaged and that is only the known cases.
CONFER: The smoking ban — 10 years later
I hate smoking. It's a disgusting, dirty habit -- and a deadly one, too: I lost both of my grandfathers prematurely to it. One suffered congestive heart failure while the other was afflicted with lung cancer. They died a handful of years before Mother Nature likely would have taken their lives without any help.
- CONFER: Honor veterans with vouchers When sending off our men and women to fight for our defense or interests abroad where they face the barrel of a gun or travel along bomb-strewn roads as a course of their daily duties, it only makes sense that upon their return we give our warriors some sort of reward since most of them are paid peanuts for the risks they take.
- CONFER: Show some respect to U.S. businesses Businesses and business owners have been getting the Rodney Dangerfield rap in recent years -- they get no respect.
- CONFER: New York's anti-gun culture Gov. Andrew Cuomo is no doubt a student of the Rahm Emanuel School of Better Government where the motto is "you never want a serious crisis to go to waste."
- CONFER: Political churches should pay taxes Churches are granted privilege under tax law. Most significantly, due to their status as 501(c)(3), they are federally tax exempt. Also, all 50 states exclude them from the property tax rolls. Across all tax breaks, churches in America realize $71 billion in savings according to a study conducted by the Council for Secular Humanism and the University of Tampa.
- CONFER: Children dying is nothing new to U.S. Our government and the supporters of what it has become have been using the Newtown Massacre as in inroad to taking our guns or severely limiting access to them.
- More Bob Confer Headlines