SLIDESHOW: Valentine's Day by the numbers
The U.S. Census Bureau on Tuesday released its facts and figures for Valentine's Day 2013, including candy, flowers and all things related to love.
- 'Fly a Kite' on Saturday to benefit homeless veterans Veteran homelessness is a growing problem across Western New York, with an estimated 1,700 in the Buffalo area.
- Celebrating Developmental Disabilities Day in the Falls The 25th annual Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day program was held Thursday at Conference Center Niagara Falls.
- Falls second-grader's "Six Sick Chicks" part of PBS Kids Go! writers contest Last year, Jewell Battle was learning the basics of writing. Putting sentences together, crafting paragraphs and figuring out how to complete a whole story weren't natural to the then-first grade student at Hyde Park Elementary.
- Signs of improvement at the SPCA of Niagara
Niagara Gazette's 2013 Women of Distinction honored Tuesday
Here are the Niagara Gazette's honorees for the 2013 Women of Distinction:
Stop DWI program makes it point at Niagara Falls High School
Niagara Falls Police Administrative Capt. John DeMarco said it is a good sign that the there is never a shortage of students who want to get involved in the student-run Stop DWI program each year.
- Long-awaited Pine Avenue signal expected to begin operation soon A much-debated and long-awaited traffic signal in front of the Como Restaurant on Pine Avenue may finally be fully operational in a matter of weeks.
- Leadership Niagara youth program collects and shares prom clothes From scrambling to find a date, to practicing dance moves, to searching endlessly for the perfect dress, high schoolers from all over the region are preparing for one of the most memorable nights of their lives -- prom night.
- Old Falls Street announces summer lineup Free concerts, street entertainment and recent blockbuster movies are all set to return to Old Falls Street this summer. There are some new things coming as well, though, as event organizers and marketing gurus at Global Spectrum attempt to once again capitalize on what promises to be a strong tourist season.
- Teddy bear clinic teaches important lessons Using teddy bears, students got demonstrations in various useful subjects including proper hand washing and bandaging during the first ever Teddy Bear Clinic at Niagara Street Elementary.
- More Communities Headlines