Niagara Gazette — LOCKPORT — The 7-year-old girl who was brutally assaulted on Monday was released from Women's and Children's Hospital in Buffalo and is in a safe house in Lockport.
"She was released last night or early this morning," Lt. Det. Scott Seekins said Thursday. "She's in the custody of her mother. They are staying in a safe house that is not anywhere near that neighborhood where (the assault) occurred."
The girl was nearly killed at her home on Monroe and Allen streets about 2 p.m. The girl escaped to her grandmother's house on Church Street after her mother stabbed her attacker, David Alfonso with a butcher knife.
Alfonso, 28, has been charged with second-degree attempted murder, second-degree assault and second-degree strangulation. He pleaded not guilty and is being held at the Niagara County Jail on $1 million bail. Alfonso has a return court date at Lockport City Court at 9:30 a.m. on Monday for a preliminary hearing.
The child's safety is a high priority, according to Seekins.
"Now that (Alfonso’s) in custody, we have to make sure the child is taken care of. She is protected and her mother is protected," he said.
Alfonso is known to police. According to Seekins, Alfonso had been arrested four or five times in 2012. Details or the nature of the crimes were not provided.
The mother of the victim told police that Alfonso attacked the girl in the house and choked her until she was unconscious. He placed his hand into her mouth and broke out teeth. He also caused a tongue injury and tried to rip her jaw off, the police report said.
Alfonso later fought with police even after being hit with a Taser. The girl's family has told local media outlets that they believe Alfonso was under the influence of bath salts at the time of the attack.
"Everything is on the table now," Seekins said.