- Local News
- Schumer bill would extend reduced student loan rate Interest rates would double on federally-subsidized Stafford loans if Congress doesn't act by July 1. More than 60,000 students in Western New York have used such loans to pay for college.
Orphaned polar bear cub arrives in Buffalo
A polar bear cub that was orphaned and rescued by a hunter in Alaska in March has arrived in Buffalo, where he will have a playmate at the city's zoo.
- Falls school board candidates spar over testing, taxes and residency requirements The discussion was wide ranging, but the controversies were few in a public forum for the six candidates running for two seats on the Niagara Falls Board of Education.
- Lewiston to hold referendum on planned civic center Citing a desire to hear as many voices as possible, the Lewiston Town Board will hold a public referendum July 15 concerning the bonding related to its $8 million civic center.
- 'Negative outlook' for Falls finances from bond agency The city's financial standing has taken another hit. Moody's Investor Services announced this week that it has downgraded its bond rating for the city of Niagara Falls from Baa1 to Baa3, while assigning a "negative outlook."
- One of Falls' most wanted caught One of Niagara's Most Wanteds is no longer on the run. Falls police finally caught up with Donald "D Block" Smith on Monday night, but not with a bit of a fight.
- Tire fire sends thick plume of smoke into Tuesday afternoon air Niagara Falls Fire Department firefighters battled a fire at a scrap yard on Lockport Road late Tuesday afternoon.
- Narcotics detectives nab pot, pills and 'funny money' It was a combination of good old fashioned police work and being in the right place at the right time.
- Lew-Port board optimistic spending plan that exceeds tax cap will be approved by voters School district elections are Tuesday, which leaves the Lewiston-Porter School Board little time left to reflect on the decisions it's made concerning its $40 million 2013-14 spending plan.
Firefighters battling tire fire on Lockport Road
A large plume of smoke from a tire fire at a junkyard on Lockport Road could be seen for miles Tuesday afternoon.
- More Local News Headlines