For the period of Jan. 14 to 27, the Niagara Falls Fire Department responded to 265 calls. The total number of service calls to date in 2013 is 466.
• FIRE: On Jan. 17, a woman who resides in the 2000 block of Pine Avenue discovered that her five new plastic garbage cans, stored between her residence and another home, had been set on fire sometime overnight. Fire Investigators were called at 11:53 a.m. and discovered all the cans completely destroyed and some fire damage to the vinyl siding of one structure. The fire remains under investigation and the loss was estimated at $400.
• FIRE: On Jan. 18, an unattended cooking fire sent a full assignment from Platoon 1, at 8:33 a.m., to the 1500 block of Pine Avenue. Crews were able to put out the fire with fire extinguishers and limit the damage to $200.
• FIRE: On Jan. 22, Platoon 3 was sent to the 7100 block of Buffalo Avenue, at 2:57 p.m., for a call of a structure fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found a fire at the nozzle of a propane tank that was being used to fuel a portable heater. The crews removed the tank to outside the structure. Damage was estimated at $200. Propane should never be used indoors.
• INCIDENT: On Jan. 24, 20 firefighters responded to a major water leak, at 9:29 a.m., at a hotel in the 10100 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard. A pump for the hot water system burst on the fourth floor and did considerable damage to that floor and all the floors below it. Crews worked for over an hour using tarps, water vacuums, and squeegees to lessen the damage.
• FIRE: On Jan. 24, a kitchen fire, at 4:45 p.m., in an apartment complex in the 9500 block of Marine Memorial Drive dispatched Platoon 2. Although the fire was quickly extinguished, firefighters found that the smoke detectors in the common hallway of the complex were not in working order. A violation notice was issued to the property owner.
• FIRE: On Jan. 24, another kitchen fire was reported at 9:12 p.m. in a high-rise apartment building in the 900 block of Cedar Avenue. A resident turned on her stovetop and left the room forgetting she had left plastic containers on the stove.This accidental fire caused $400 damage.
• ACCIDENT: On Jan. 26, a two-vehicle accident, at 10:05 a.m., at the intersection of 11th Street and Ontario Avenue sent Engine 3 and Truck 1 into action. Firefighters treated the driver of a van that ran into the back-up generator outside Fire Station 3. As the generator was damaged, power and fuel were shut off to it until repairs could be made. The driver of the van was transported to a local hospital for further evaluation.