Church break-in investigated
Niagara County Sheriff's deputies responded to First Baptist Church, 6047 Main St., just before 11 a.m. Sunday after a church official reported a burglary.
A church member discovered a broken pantry door Sunday morning after she found several doors inside the building were left open. At first the woman said she thought nothing of it, believing the last person in the church left the doors open by mistake. However, there was damage to the pantry door and door knob, which is located in the basement.
Deputies checked the building and all of the door were secure, but they discovered the screen was ripped on a basement window located on the north side of the building, and the window was closed but not locked. The church manager said the window was locked prior to the incident.
Nothing appeared to be missing except an empty can that had contained fruit was found near the window. Damage to the window and door was estimated at $125.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in the 1800 block of Weston Avenue. A 46-year-old man told officers that sometime between 4 p.m. Friday and 4 p.m. Sunday someone broke into his home by unknown means. The victim said a TV was taken.
• BURGLARY: Officers are looking for two suspects in a burglary in the 1600 block of Pine Avenue. A witness told police they saw the door to a store smashed out at 3:10 a.m. Sunday and watched two men enter the business. Moments later, the suspects fled from the store with what appeared to be a computer. The business owner told police that two computers and five cell phones were taken. The suspects were last seen running east on Pine Avenue.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in the 1100 block of 13th Street. A 58-year-old woman told officers that sometime between 7 p.m. Saturday and 12:34 a.m. Sunday, someone broke into her apartment by kicking in the door. The victim said a DVD player, 10 DVDs and an Xbox 360 game system were taken.
• BURGLARY: Officers are looking into a burglary in the 1500 block of Willow Avenue. A 28-year-old man told police that sometime between 5 and 10:20 p.m. Saturday someone broke into his home by pushing in a window. The victim said two TVs and two laptop computers were taken.
• BURGLARY: Police are investigating a burglary in the 2900 block of Greenview Terrace. A 23-year-old woman told officers that sometime between 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday someone broke into her home by unknown means. The victim said an Xbox Kinect game system and six video games were taken.
• BURGLARY: Officers are looking into a burglary in the 1100 block of Ontario Avenue. A 26-year-old woman told police that sometime between 5:30 and 7:56 p.m. Saturday someone broke into her home by prying open a door. The victim said a TV, a TV stand and a CD player were taken.
• ARREST: A Falls man was arrested after a shoplifting incident at a store in the 8400 block of Niagara Falls Boulevard at 8:23 p.m. Saturday. Kirby Derrick Elkins, 27, 6817 Niagara Falls Blvd., Apt. 116, was charged with petit larceny. He is accused of taking a bottle of Jagermeister without paying for it.